Festival on for seniors
THE Seniors Festival is back again with a number of exciting activities for senior residents to get involved in, including day trips to Shellharbour, concerts, movie screenings, and health and well-being activities.
• Bus trip to Shellharbour with stops for morning tea and lunch on Tuesday-Thursday, February 18-20, from Campsie and Bankstown. Tickets: $20 and available from the council’s Customer Service Centres in Bankstown and Campsie.
• Author Talk: Greek Cafes and Milk Bars of Australia by Effy Alexakis and Leonard Janiszewski on Thursday, February 13, at Bankstown Library and Knowledge Centre and Friday, February 21, at Campsie Library and Knowledge Centre, 10-11.30am.
• Meals on Wheels Concert on Thursday, February 13, 10am-noon, at Club Condell Park. The concert will be a “thank you” to all the Meals on Wheels and aged day care clients, carers and volunteers them for their hard work and dedication to the community (the council will be hosting this free concert with morning tea, lunch, and entertainment).
Details: 9707 9646.
• Movie screening of The Greatest Showman at Bankstown Library and Knowledge Centre, on Monday, February 17, 10am-12pm. Bookings: 9707 9708.
• Seniors Concert at Bankstown Sports Club, The Grand Ballroom, on Sunday, February 23, 2-4pm. Tickets: $2.
• Stepping on Program at Campsie Library and Knowledge Centre every Friday (from February 21, 10.30am-12.30pm), for seven weeks. Seniors are invited to take part in this free gentle exercises program designed to build knowledge, strength, balance and confidence to prevent falls and help them stay active and remain independent. Registrations: 9789 9404, 9789 9404 or cb.city/seniorsfestival
• Valentine’s Day book folding workshop at Campsie Library and Knowledge Centre on Friday, February 14, 10.30am-12.30pm. Celebrate Library Lovers Day by combining both books and art at the book folding art workshop, where you can turn an old book into a creative work of art. Instructions and materials provided.
Bookings: 9789 9423.
• Garden and floral art workshops at Campsie Library and Knowledge Centre, on Thursday, February 20. (10am-12.30pm). The Bunnings Gardening Workshop, 10.15-11.15am, will be followed by a Floral Art Demonstration Floral Art demonstration, 11.30am-12.30pm. Bookings: 9789 9423.
• Seniors and Money workshop on Tuesday, February 11 (Chinese) and Wednesday, February 19 (English) at Campsie Library and Knowledge Centre, 10-12.30pm. The free workshop on ‘Seniors and Money’ will cover: Scams to look out for; Helping your family financially, what you should know; Your pension; and Avoiding financial abuse. Light refreshments will be provided. Bookings: 9789 9423.
• Accessing Aged Care Services workshop at Campsie Library and Knowledge Centre, on Tuesday, February 12 and Thursday, February 27, 10-11.30am. Wesley Mission will show how to access and navigate Aged Care services and everything else you need to know. Details: The council’s Active Ageing Officer, 9707 5495.
• Aqua Aerobics at Birrong Leisure and Aquatic Centre, every Monday, 10-11am, and Max Parker Leisure and Aquatic Centre, every Tuesday, 9-10am (free).
• Tai Chi at the Morris Iemma Indoor Sports Centre, every Tuesday, 10-11am (free).
For more info, to find other events, or to register for activities throughout the festival, visit cb.city/whatson.