Preparation time: 5 minutes l Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
200g piece Australian bacon, cubed
4 free range eggs
1/2 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese, grated
1/2 cup Pecorino, grated
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
Finely chopped parsley to garnish
1. Heat a large pot of salted water to the boil over a high heat. Add the pasta and cook 10-12 minutes until al dente. Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
2. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat 2 minutes, add the diced bacon pieces and cook stirring occasionally until bacon is brown and fat has rendered or becomes clear. Remove from heat.
3. Return the pan to the heat and add the linguine to the pan along with half the reserved cooking water. Toss pasta well until 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Whisk together the eggs and cheeses together and quickly incorporate the egg mixture with the pasta, adding the remaining cooking water. The residual heat will cook the egg.
5. Season well with black pepper and garnish with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan.
This pasta is also delicious with the addition of sautéed mushrooms or asparagus spears.