Featured Story

Man dies in unit fire

INVESTIGATIONS are underway after a 62-year-old man died in a unit fire in Clemton Park last Saturday.

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews from Lakemba, Ashfield and Campsie, were called to Biara Avenue just after 5am following reports of a fire.
The first firefighters on the scene pulled an unconscious man from the smoke-filled unit and performed CPR until the arrival of NSW Ambulance paramedics.
Unfortunately despite the efforts of first responders, the man who is yet to be formally identified, died at the scene.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze however the unit sustained significant damage.
Police are investigating the incident and have asked anyone with information which may assist them to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, with all information to be treated in the strictest of confidence.
Two days later, Fire and Rescue NSW crews responded to a call that smoke was coming from a ground floor unit in Ashfield.
The first fire crews on scene noticed smoke coming from the first level of the three-storey building and after making entry to the apartment, established food had caught alight on the stove top and extinguished the flames quickly to prevent any damage.
The leading cause of house fires in NSW is leaving cooking unattended.
A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesperson said it was important the community remembered to keep looking when cooking.
“If your cooking catches fire never use water to put out a fat or oil fire, turn off the stove if it is safe to do so and call Triple Zero (000).”