Police appealed for public assistance and released CCTV images last week (Wednesday, July 24) as part of Operation Artemis – an investigation into a series of alleged indecent assaults on Sydney’s public transport network.
About 6pm on Friday, August 17, 2018, a 19-year-old woman was allegedly indecently assaulted by a man on a train travelling to Auburn from St James Railway Station in the Sydney CBD.
The 19-year-old woman managed to use her smartphone to take a photograph of her alleged attacker and provide the image to police.
Around 4pm yesterday, just a few hours after their public appeal, officers from the Police Transport Command North West arrested a 39-year-old man outside a home in Auburn.
He was taken to Auburn Police Station and charged with assault with act of indecency.
The man was granted conditional bail, to appear before Burwood Local Court on Thursday, August 15.
Commander of the Police Transport Command’s North West Sector, Detective Superintendent Brad Monk, said the woman’s efforts significantly aided the investigation.
“I want to acknowledge the victim’s brave and clever act in discreetly capturing an image of her alleged attacker, ultimately leading to yesterday’s arrest.
“I encourage anyone who may have been a victim of crime on our transport network to report the incident, so police can act.”
Operation Artemis officers continue to investigate other, unrelated incidents of women being indecently assaulted on Sydney’s public transport network.
“We remind the public that any such information provided to police will be treated with the strictest of confidence,” Supt Monk said.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.
Information is treated in strict confidence.
The public is reminded not to report crime via NSW Police social media pages.
Discover loaded gun
at vehicle stop probe
A MAN from Merrylands has been charged after Strike Force Raptor allegedly seized a loaded pistol during a vehicle stop earlier this year.
As a result of inquiries by detectives from the State Crime Command’s Criminal Groups Squad, Strike Force Raptor Highway Patrol stopped a Nissan Patrol on Hamilton Road, South Wentworthville, just after 5.30pm on Wednesday, January 16 and spoke with the driver, a 26-year-old man, with checks revealing his licence was expired.
During a subsequent search of the vehicle, police allegedly located a loaded ‘Bayard’ pistol in the glove box.
The man was arrested and charged.
The firearm has been forensically examined and is now undergoing ballistic examination.
Following further inquiries, detectives, with assistance from the Public Order and Riot Squad, arrested a 61-year-old man at a home in Merrylands early last Wednesday morning.
He was charged with possess unauthorised pistol.
Investigations are continuing.
Strike Force Raptor was established in 2009 and conducts proactive investigations and intelligence-based, high-impact policing operations to prevent and disrupt conflicts, and dismantle any network engaged in serious organised criminal activity.